Monday, January 22, 2007

League Notes

Dan Riedel, who recently left Ferris State, has signed with the Phoenix Roadrunners of the ECHL. Dan will make his debut this Friday.

Riedel, 21, recently withdrew from Ferris State University midway through his sophomore season after totaling three goals and 12 points in 19 games. Prior to his arrival at Ferris State, Riedel was the 2004-05 USHL CCM Forward of the Year after producing a league-high 81 points on 30 goals and 51 assists in just 60 games as a member of the Lincoln Stars.


Another article featuring Kyle Okposo.

The between-the-leg shot against Mankato was instinctive. I didn't think about doing it before I did it. That was really the only play I had to try and score. I couldn't make it to the backhand because a defender was there. I had to come back through my legs. I practice it all the time. I first tried it when I was 13. I think I saw (former Shattuck star) Zach Parise do it in practice. I said, "That's pretty cool. I've got to try that." I think they played it once at a New York Islanders game. (Okposo was the Islanders' first-round pick in the 2006 NHL draft.)


Article featuring former RoughRider Joe Fallon.

In just his fifth collegiate game, he made 29 saves at the DECC to upset then No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth, a first for the school. He followed that up the next night with a 40 save performance to earn another point for the Catamounts.


Rafalski stakes his claim as one of the game's standouts.

“I didn’t even know who he was when he came here,” Brodeur said of Rafalski’s arrival as an undrafted free-agent back in 1999. “He came in as an older guy from Europe and I didn’t know much about him. So for him to come in his first year (1999-2000) and have the kind of season he had was great. He had a lot of support around him, a little bit like when I started. I had a lot of people to help me out to become the player I am now.

“I think Brian is the same way. He got the leadership last year of the defense and he was an offensive guy and now he has been put into different roles. He’s our top guy, so he has to play a lot of minutes -- kill penalties, play the power play, play 5-on-5 -- so there is a lot asked of him. So, it’s been nice to see him get some recognition around the League.”


Former Tri-City Storm standout named an AHL All-Star.

Thomas, who spent the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons in Kearney, is enjoying his first season in San Antonio. He currently has 12 goals and 20 assists in 44 games this season. San Antonio is the farm team for the Phoenix Coyotes.


USHL.com has been featuring colleges and future prospects for the USHL. I don't totally understand why they are writing articles about these kids, I'd guess to try and sway them the USHL route instead of Major Juniors.

First, they featured Brett Cook and Kyle Palmieri. Just guessing, but I think Kyle is somehow related to Erie's Nick Palmieri. Second, they featured Matt Thompson.

Palmieri:
Palmieri has as his goal to play College hockey. "I have talked to coaches and scouts and they have said that the USHL is the best route for me to get to the NCAA". College hockey is "definitely my top priority, it has been a goal since I was young. I really like the eastern schools, Boston and Maine in particular."





Cook:
"I don't know much about college hockey, but you can get your education while you play hockey, and that's alright. I haven't really thought much about it and have not decided which route to take".








Thompson:
As for college hockey, Matt says that it has always been a priority. "I am not a big WHL guy, I am more of a college hockey player. I think the environment is better, I grew up watching at University of Alaska (UAA), and want to move on to D1 college.







There have also been school features posted as well. They have featured Boston University and University of Vermont.

Lastly, due to Green Bay's Sergio Somma's injury, it has been announced that Waterloo's Matt Arhontas has been named to the squad in Somma's place.


Photos courtesy of www.ushl.com

No comments: