Friday, July 25, 2008

You Never Know

Those words courtesy of hockeyboy on the SC board are too true. Just recently, Green Mountain Glades (EJHL) player, Ben Kinson, passed away from injuries sustained in a car accident. About a month ago, a former Indiana Ice draft pick and Newmarket Hurricanes (OPJHL) player, Karl 'KJ' Ramolla passed away due to a car accident. It's always sad when such great young men are taken from the hockey family so soon. Thoughts and prayers go out to all their family and friends.

Also a cool note, it looks like KJ's memory was alive in the Chowder Cup. He made the roster for the Champlain Valley Elite, and looks like he also got credit for playing in a game.

Benjamin A. Kinson

WALTHAM — Benjamin A. Kinson, 18, died July 20, 2008, from injuries sustained in an automobile accident.

Born July 23, 1989, in Middlebury, he was the son of Anthony "Tony" and Mary (Nostrand) Kinson.

He was a 2007 graduate of Middlebury High School and planned to attend Plymouth (N.H.) State University this fall.

Benjamin enjoyed playing hockey and was involved in U.S.A. Hockey and Glades Junior Hockey. He also enjoyed auto mechanics, snowmobiling and four-wheeling.

Survivors include his parents, sister, Leslie, and grandparents, Barbara and Donald Kinson, of Waltham; numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

The funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 23, at Vergennes Congregational Church with the Rev. Gary Lewis, pastor, officiating.

Calling hours will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, at the Sanderson-Ducharme Funeral Home, 117 South Main St., Middlebury.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Vergennes Community Food Shelf, 30 Water St., Vergennes, VT 05491.


Newmarket Hurricanes assistant captain Karl (KJ) Ramolla was killed Saturday in a car accident near Port Severn.

The 20-year-old resident of Minesing, north of Barrie, played the last two seasons for the Hurricanes after two years with the rival Couchiching Terriers.

Ramolla was a passenger in a vehicle also occupied by former Hurricanes’ captain Ryan Burkholder that left Hwy. 400 near Muskoka Road 38 about 5:30 p.m.

“KJ was a great player and more importantly a great friend that was loved and respected by his teammates and peers,” said Hurricanes president and part owner Anthony Pietramala in a statement on

“(The incident) took him from us far too early in life. Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with the Ramolla family.”

He is survived by his parents, Karl and Sonia Ramolla, sisters Petra and Alicia and grandparents Karl Sr. and Gladys Ramolla.

Messages of condolence may be forwarded to the family at

Visitation is Tuesday from 2 to 5 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. A funeral mass is to be held Wednesday at 10 a.m. at St. Mary’s Church at 65 Amelia St. in Barrie. For more information, call 705-728-4344.

Burkholder, 20, was not seriously injured, the Hurricanes said. He was treated in hospital in Parry Sound and released. The Newmarket resident just completed his first year playing at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

Ramolla played the past two seasons with the Hurricanes after joining the team from the Couchiching Terriers as a free agent when the Orillia-based team did not operate during the 2005-06 season.

He was eligible to play for the Hurricanes this season, although general manager-head coach Brian Perrin said Ramolla, a forward, was hoping to land an opportunity to play at the NCAA level next season.

Ramolla had seasons of 21 and 26 goals for the Hurricanes and accumulated 117 points in 97 regular season games.

“It’s hard to explain, I don’t have words for it,” said Perrin when contacted Monday morning. “Like everyone says, you hear about stuff like this all the time, but it never hits home until it happens to someone close to you.

“He’s the kind of kid you will notice (at his funeral) how many people he touched. He was the kind of kid people radiated to. It’s hard to rationalize, a 20-year-old kid, so full of life. KJ’s personality was that he treated everyone like his best friend.”

The Hurricanes players were scheduled to meet with grief counsellors.

Police continue to investigate the cause of the accident.

— with files from

No comments: