Thursday, March 6, 2008

Player Spotlight: Ryan Schnell


Name: Ryan Schnell
Current Team: Chicago Steel
Position: Forward
Hometown: Cary, Illinois
Date of Birth: January 13, 1989
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 225 lbs.
Stats: 2 goals, 8 assists
Previous Team: USNTDP
College: None


Ryan: What is your favorite and least favorite arena (outside of your own) to play in?

Ryan Schnell: My favorite rink is Cedar Rapids because it is a perfect rink for the USHL. It is always packed there and it gets loud, it's a great atmosphere to play in and is always fun. Ohio is my least favorite rink to play in because there are no fans there and it is a huge NHL rink which makes it feel completely empty. It is not a hard place to play in.


Ryan: Is there a special reason you wear the number you wear?

RS: There is no reason why I wear number 12, I like 18 but I couldn't get that this year so I just picked 12.


Ryan: How did the NTDP help prepare you for the USHL, and how did you like the NTDP?

RS: The NTDP prepared me for the USHL a lot. The coaching, training, games, and travel makes you grow up fast and you learn a lot about yourself on and off the ice. It does a great job as a learning experience and for this year I felt like I was able to play with no hesitation and was comfortable with the speed of the league. I was well prepared for this year. There is nothing else like playing for your country, especially in international tournaments. It was extremely competitive there for the two years I was there. It was awesome to play with the teammates I had and it was a great experience in my life.


Ryan: With the departure of Andy Miele, how has the team responded?

RS: With Miele being gone, no one really knew what it would be like. We went 6-0-1 once he left and everyone picked up their level of play. I think we couldn't of responded any better as a team. He was the leader of our team and we miss him in the locker room but we are still a team that can win no matter who's playing and who's not playing.



Thanks to Ryan Schnell for taking the time to take part.

No comments: