Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Player Spotlight: Matt Farris

Next Up: Two'fer Thursday, Nick Pisellini and Brady Hjelle.






Name: Matt Farris
Current Team: Sioux Falls Stampede
Position: Forward
Hometown: Pierre, South Dakota
Date of Birth: February 16, 1990
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Stats: 4 goals, 8 assists
Previous Team: Pierre HS
College: None


Ryan: What is your favorite and least favorite arena (outside of your own) to play in and why?

Matt Farris: I would have to say my favorite arena to play in would be Lincoln, the atmosphere is incredible and the fans always make the game interesting. Now for the least favorite I am not really sure, I would probably say that the Resch Center in Green Bay because it is so big. It is a nice arena and the ice is fantastic but it is too big and they don't get enough fans to get the place going at all.


Ryan: You recently had your first USHL fight. How did it feel to be in a scrap? Would you do it again?

MF: Well at first I was a little nervous, I wasn't sure what it would be like and I was cautious but once the fight started and the adrenaline kicked in it was pretty sweet. You don't feel any pain and it leaves a great feeling inside when you are headed to the box. If needed I would do it again, I am not a big kid and I'm not a great fighter so I am not going to go out looking for fights for no reason but if our team needs momentum I would be more than willing to drop the gloves.


Ryan: If you could choose any college to play for, which would it be and why?

MF: I am not sure at the moment to be honest, if I had to say a college I would probably say the UND Fighting Sioux. They have a rich heritage and tradition and their arena seems like a great place to play. I have been to a few games their and the atmosphere in there during the games is hard to beat.


Ryan: What is it like playing for coach Hartzell?

MF: It has been a very educational experience thus far. He is a tremendous coach and has a lot of knowledge pertaining to the game of hockey that he can pass on if you just watch and listen. He is always teaching both on and off the ice and has helped to turn the Stampede into a first class organization.


Ryan: What is the transition like from South Dakota HS to the USHL?

MF: It is a huge jump. The level of play is twice as high, everything is bigger, faster, and stronger. There were things I could do in South Dakota that I couldn't even imagine working here. It has been a hard transition and one that has taken me all season, but I feel that I am starting to play better and at the standard required to play in the USHL night after night.



Thanks to Matt for taking time to help out!

No comments: