Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lincoln to get Goalie Help?

This article came in my inbox this morning. It sounds like a nice story for this kid and if he can put up anywhere close to the numbers he has put up in the CSHL, then Lincoln will welcome him with open arms.

Goaltending has been a huge disappointment for the Stars this year. Coming into the season, Nick Hopper was set to be their go to guy, but he has yet to be consistently successful. Perhaps another goalie in camp is just what the doctor ordered for the Lincoln goalies at this point.


John Griggs can't begin to thank the Dubuque ThunderBirds enough for the opportunity he will receive next week.

Griggs, who leads Central States Hockey League goaltenders in four main statistical categories, earned a three-day tryout with the Lincoln Stars of the Tier I United States Hockey League. He will be available to the ThunderBirds for this weekend's home games against Quad City and St. Louis.

"The biggest reason I'm getting this opportunity is the guys around me," Griggs said. "They're a huge reason I have the numbers I have, and they're the reason we're 15-0-0-1. I can't say enough about Coach (Joe) Coombs. He's so connected in the hockey world, and he's helped me a lot."

Griggs, one of the ThunderBirds' biggest stars during their run to the CSHL's Hurster Cup playoff championship and a berth in the National semifinals last season, leads the CSHL with an 8-0-0-1 record, 1.69 goals against average, .936 save percentage and two shutouts.

"I'm delighted for Johnny. I couldn't be happier," Coombs said. "He's a fantastic young man, and I'm glad he's getting a shot at the USHL. It's obviously a good reflection on our organization to have people in a league like the USHL looking at our players."

Coombs delivered the news to Griggs on Wednesday evening after speaking with the Stars coaching staff.

"I was speechless," Griggs said. "I had a smile on my face from ear to ear. Right now, I'm just trying to take it all in. I know I still have a lot of work to do.

"I'm going to go into it with the right frame of mind. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. But I am going to work as hard as I can and not give them a reason to cut me."


Article courtesy of the Telegraph Herald.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ryan, do you think by 3-day tryout that means he'll actually get to play in our next 3 home games or at least be suited up, or that he'll get to practice 3 times and then be sent packing if he isn't what we thought...

Anonymous said...

He isn't the savior, but you should have looked deeper in the NAHL. Hype doesn't win games or stop pucks. Hopper played on a great team and really wasn't difference maker in any of their wins.

warriorstick said...

well everyone knows that Hopper has tried the USHL twice before and has failed both times. I hope that he can put it together, cause if Jimmy is going to get rid of anyone it will probably be Hopper just cause Murdock is younger goalie. Hopper will end up back in the NAHL and probably his scholarship right down the tubes as well.

warriorstick said...

Jimmy better figure something out soon on his team in general cause according to the league they are kind of the laughing stock, and quite frankly being one of the most popular teams in the USHL, he will be done after this year.