Sunday, April 1, 2007

Sunday News

As most of you have seen, Sioux City fired off a 2006-2007 season record 72 shots on Green Bay's Adam Avramenko. Avramenko stopped 70 shots and the Gamblers won 5-2. Sioux City recorded 36 shots in the first period, breaking a previous record of 35 set by the Sioux City Musketeers back in 1986 vs the Thunder Bay Flyers.

Springtime Hale Storm.

"In New Jersey, my ice time was down to around five to 10 minutes," Hale said yesterday. "In the occasional game, if somebody would get hurt, it would jump up a little bit but I wasn't used to getting this kind of ice time.

"It's a regular shift, which is great. It's not what I was getting, it's what I hoped for.

"Occasionally, I'll get on the PK, too, and that's a bonus.

"I wasn't considered for that in New Jersey, except for special circumstances.

"I look at it as a welcomed challenge."

Geris Brings Depth to Thunder Defense.

Geris, a native of Alexandria, Minn., has not had a concussion in three years. He had four concussions between his sophomore year of high school and his sophomore season in college. He spent most of his junior year at UMD as a graduate assistant coach.

"The doctors had pretty much pulled the plug," Geris said. "It was tough because I wanted to play. And after a while people suggested that I get checked out and see if I could play again."

Geris said he had tests at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and was cleared to play. He played in 36 games as a senior with the Bulldogs and said he did not get injured.

"I didn't fear going back on the ice, and I know I play a position where you get hit," Geris said. "But I was completely cleared and to tell you the truth, I don't really think about it much."


Shawn Vinz (Cedar Rapids/Rochester) signed with the Charlotte Checkers of the ECHL and according to iowaninja, he scored his first goal on his first shift.

Former Lancer, Trevor Smith, has left UNH and signed with the New York Islanders. Smith was assigned to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL.

Q & A With Tyler Howells (Cedar Rapids.)

No comments: